Tuesday, October 31, 2006

My friends are awesome and that's why I miss them

As many of you know, I will be turning the big 30 pretty soon. And here I am in Spain, without my friends, for the big day. To remedy the situation, my friends have offered to buy me a plane ticket home, so that I could celebrate with all of them. Awesome, no?

The crappy part is, I really can't go. I have the time to, but I just can't. I am mentally unprepared for it and I know that going home this early in my stay here would make me more homesick than ever. The temptation to stay and just hide out in ATL would be great. So I have to turn them down on the offer. The other day I was thinking about a conversation I had and came up with the line, "this conversation is breaking my heart," which I thought sounded like a good album title. (The conversation didn't totally break my heart, but it was sad.) Anyway, my point is that it seems that I have to do a lot of things that "break my heart" while I'm here. I mean, I'm turning down a free international plane ticket and the chance to party with some of my best pals! (though I have to admit that I'm going to see if the offer still stands for later in the year).

Maybe when I get back it will just be pure hedonism to make up for the things (and people) I've had to give up while I am here. Of course, writing a dissertation + pure hedonism don't really seem like they mix.

Maybe the year after that...

No comments: