Monday, February 16, 2009

Lex Has Emerged Mostly Unscathed

My ex came to visit me this weekend. Yes, this weekend. Valentine's weekend. It was a coincidence... the timing worked well for him because he's about to move and I had an extra-long weekend free of work. I'm not even sure he realized ahead of time about the Valentine's thing because he is, well, he's very bad with dates and times. Worse than anyone you've ever met. I'll just leave it at that.
To recap our relationship VERY quickly. We dated for 3 years; we broke up when I moved here in September 2007. We talked on and off and I was still in love with him. I went back to my previous city for a wedding and hung out with him for what ended up being The Night I Was Least In Control Of My Emotions. Let's just say I wanted to get back with him, he visibly recoiled when I tried to touch him, I sobbed for about 5 hours, and I threw some shit, slashed a painting I had done, and threw away everything in his apartment that was mine or related to me. The next day, I took some Xanax for the first time ever to make it through, got on a plane and sent him an email from my phone saying I was deleting him from Facebook, IM, etc. and that I couldn't talk to him in any way for a while. He was only allowed to contact me if someone died. Thus began 7 months of self-imposed ex exile.

It helped me a lot and eventually I got to the point where I missed him because he's a good person that I want in my life, not because I was lonely and sad and wanted him back as a BF. So I contacted him again. It was pretty baby steps initially, but eventually I saw him for a night over New Year's. We were both nervous, but it went well and we were great at being Just Friends. So now he's moving and he needs some money and also wanted to hang out and it just so happens that I wanted to hang out, have some money, and wanted a painting for my living room (he's a painter). So he brought out a painting and we ate and drank and talked a lot. Over Valentine's weekend. I'm not going to say there weren't a couple of snags and some tears and some confusion, but we emerged in a good state. And I didn't sleep with him, despite that fact that EVERY ONE OF MY FRIENDS thought this would surely happen. All in all, pretty good stuff. I'm proud of me, I'm proud of him.

No comments: